Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Five for January 28, 2009

There is the world, and then there is way that each of us chooses to look at the world. Generally when I look at the world, it is through rose-colored (or Bobby Clarke colored) glasses. It is just who I am. This explanation will serve to rationalize my top five comics of the week (and my surprising rant at the end of my review). Thus without further ado …

How does the old joke go? How about any old joke for that matter? What do you get when you let the lead singer of My Chemical Romance write a comic book for Dark Horse Comics? How about a pretty damn good comic as The Umbrella Academy: Dallas #3 hits shelves this week.

If you have yet to pick up The Umbrella Academy, don’t start with this issue. There is too much history in the nine previous stories before this week that you would be totally lost. Go and pick up the Apocalypse Suite which is now available in trade paperback. Then when you realize that you have been missing out on one of the finer comics in the ‘verse, you can pick up the first three editions of the current run.

I read this week’s issue and as I turned each page I could not believe Gerard Way was capable of such storytelling. This week’s issue (“Television or Are You There, God? It’s Me, Klaus”) is just as much fun as the previous two in this story arc. Ever since they saved the world in Apocalypse Suite, the surviving members of the Umbrella Academy are shells of their former heroic selves, none more so than Space Boy (and wait until you see what happens to him this week).

And before I forget, Gabriel Ba’s artwork is a magnificent compliment to the tale of Number Five, the White Violin and the Séance (just to name a few).

It has been a long time since the New Avengers have been good. I am talking the beginning of Brian Michael Bendis’ run on New Avengers oh so many issues ago. The previous arc was okay but felt like filler for Secret Invasion. Now we are into the good stuff as issue #49 finds Luke Cage dealing with the consequences after he just agreed to a deal with the devil (or Norman Osborn for detail’s sake).

Just as he did last week with Dark Avengers #1, Bendis pens a tale where I think one thing is going to happen only be surprised once again, especially by the actions of everyone involved on the last panels. Without giving any specifics away, you have to love when Norman states “Guess who just made the list.” This issue needs to make your list, and fast.

Once again this poor title was way down on my reading list, and once again The Incredible Hercules proved just how incredible Greg Pak and Feed Van Lente are at story-telling in the ultimate buddy book of the millennia. I have to admit I was a little more than confused as to what was going on as the end was worth my befuddlement. Let’s just say that Spider-Woman, a female Wolverine, Ms. Fantastic and the White Phoenix all make appearances in a topsy-turvy world that is upside down for Amadeus Cho and our hero Herc. Ever since this title was turned over to the God during World War Hulk it has been a solid performer every month. Issue #125 does not disappoint.

Sometimes I think I take Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch’s run on Fantastic Four for granted. Sometimes I feel the story is sort of dragging or not as grandiose as I expect from this duo. But I was reminded today by my friend George just how good and how much we both always look forward to the FF coming out each month. And for the longest time that was not the case.

Fantastic Four #563 hits shelves this week and it’s a nice break from all the commotion that has been going on in the title since the dynamic duo took over about a year ago. This is a classic FF tale with it centering on the family and what is happening in the world as the bread crumbs to the new threat are starting to be found. I think Stan and Jack would be particularly proud of this issue. There are no Earth-shattering moments, just a good-old fashion FF time.

Last but not least, Nova is like The Incredible Hercules for me. The title always works its way towards the bottom of my reading pile, and I am always astounded at how much I enjoy it. This was literally the second to last book I read tonight. It was so much more than where it was located in my stack.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning have done a terrific job with the story of Richard Rider, who used to be the sole remaining member of the Nova Corp. In the last few issues, Worldmind has decided to restart the Corps much to Rider’s chagrin. Not being able to do anything to stop an ever-growing powerful Worldmind, you get the feeling reading Nova #21 that things are not going as they should.

Abnett and Lanning allow me inside Rider’s head and I feel the dread he has as the events of this week’s tale unfold on the page. And wait until how the issue ends.

I have never been a fan of the sci-fi comics (Green Lantern, Nova, etc.), which is a real surprise since I am a Star Trek nut. That being said, I need to start moving Nova up higher in the read pile.

And now my rant for the week and if you had not noticed no DC books made it into my recommendations. And there is a reason for that as they dropped the ball, big time. Superman was decent, but really only got going until the end. Batman, which was the second part of the Heart of Hush follow up by Paul Dini, saw a disappointing end at what was a very enjoyable eight-issue arc (and a complete waste of a great Catwoman appearance).

But now I take notice with The Powers That Be at DC Comics and ask what were you thinking? I know there are business decisions that need to be made. Books that don’t sell well need to be retooled, cancelled or what have you – and such was the case of the poor-performing but entertaining (at least for me) Legion of Super-Heroes.

Hope was restored about a year ago when Jim Shooter regained the reigns to the title that made him a comics’ legend. DC decided Legion had enough time to prove itself recently and that it was going to end. Shooter’s current story was planned to end around issue #54. DC decided issue #50 (this week’s book) was the end. So this week when I opened up the issue to see that Shooter and artist Francis Manapul were not even involved with the finale’s production and were replaced, I was beside myself. It is insulting enough to not allow Shooter to finish what he started on his terms. Finish the story in an annual or special ala Superman Last Son. Show the man, and book, some respect.

And don’t even get me started on the farce that was Final Crisis #7. Don’t forget to tip your clerk at Starbucks – Peace.






No comments: